Growing Through the Years
The original residence and its capacity had been made larger through several additions and remodeling efforts.
1907 – Over 80 residents were living in the Home
1921 – Rev. Jacob Meier dies and his dream had not only lived on, but flourished
1952 – The Home’s name was changed to Central Baptist Home for the Aged, reflecting an adjustment in its mission to care for the Christian senior population. During the same time period, there was talk of building a new Home
1956 – One of the most momentous events in the history of the Home was its relocation to Norridge, Illinois, leaving behind the corner of Spaulding and Cortland Streets and building a new residence along Lawrence Avenue between Orange and Canfield Avenues. The Home was blessed to acquire 10 acres of land in a northwest suburb of Chicago to build a new facility designed to serve up to 90 residents. State-of-the-art amenities included an attractive lobby, a parlor with a fireplace, a modern kitchen, a spacious dining room, an infirmary and doctor’s office. The center focus of the new facility was the Chapel providing residents with a place for prayer, worship and fellowship.
1978 – 102-bed nursing unit was added to respond to the changing healthcare needs of the residents; thus the beginning of the Home’s continuity of care. As a means to extend the continuum even further, a sheltered-care unit was designed to serve residents who needed additional care in a non-nursing environment. At last, Central Baptist Home’s comprehensive continuum of care was available for its present residents and would also meet the needs of older adults in the Norridge and surrounding Chicagoland communities.
On to the 21st century!
Central Baptist Home prepared for yet another momentous change. After six years of thoughtful planning, an extensive renovation project transformed Central Baptist Home into Central Baptist Village.
2000 – The first phase was completed in November of 2000 when a new apartment building, The Commons, opened its doors. The new, innovative design of The Commons, a 99-unit apartment building featuring five different apartment styles, had ample amenities and a lifestyle of convenience for older adults.
2001 – In a bittersweet ceremony, the original 1956 building was demolished.
2002 – The final phase of renovation and expansion was completed in 2002 with the opening of the Town Center and The Terrace. The Town Center features a spacious, inviting lobby, Fireside Lounge, Village Café, multipurpose rooms and wellness clinic. And reflecting Central Baptist Village’s mission of caring for older adults within a faith-based community, the Chapel is the heart of the Town Center.
Throughout the decades, Central Baptist Village has served the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of thousands of older adults.
Our reputation for quality, loving care has brought generation after generation of family members through our doors.